Summer BBQs would not be complete without this these tantalizing shrimp hot off the grill. The platter empties almost as fast as I can make them. Often I will double or even triple this recipe to satisfy my family’s craving. I use fresh sprigs of rosemary right from the garden and just picked Meyer lemons straight from the tree in our back yard.
Lemon Grilled Shrimp
48 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on (approx. 1 lb)
3 T extra virgin olive oil
3 T fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, finely minced with ½ tsp. coarse (kosher) salt
1 T finely minced fresh rosemary
Finely ground fresh pepper to taste
- Soak 10-12 10-inch wooden skewers in water to cover for 1 hour.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water, drain and pat dry, place in a bowl. (when using frozen shrimp you need to let them thaw a bit first and pat dry well to avoid diluting marinade)
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt, rosemary, and pepper in a bowl, whisk well, and then toss with the shrimp. Let rest for 1-2 hours.
- Heat a barbeque grill to high or pre-heat the broiler. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and drain them, reserving the marinade.
- Thread skewers with 3 – 5 shrimp each.
- Grill or broil shrimp 4 inches from the heat source, brushing on each side with the extra marinate for 3 minutes per side.
Psst! You can marinate these in the morning, and then thread them on skewers up to 3 hours before you plan to serve them. Just reserve some of the marinade to drizzle over the prepared skewers right before cooking.