Thin sliced zucchini instead of lasagna noodles turns this into a delicious yet hearty low carb meal. You won’t even miss the pasta!
Cook Time: under 60 minutes / Serves: 4
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 – 24 oz jar tomato basil pasta sauce ( I like Bertolli)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (plus a few leaves for garnish (optional)
- 5 shakes of italien herbs (about 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 large or two medium zucchini (sliced 1/8″ thick using a mandolin)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1-2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Easy Peasy Roasted Green Beans
Time – 30 minutes
1/2 lb. green beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
freshly ground salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Wash green beans, snap off the ends and place on a foil-lined pan.
Add olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper to the beans, toss gently and spread out on the pan.
Place in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes until crisp and tender.
Moroccan Spiced Cauliflower
Yield: 2-4 servings
Time :30 minutes
I head of cauliflower, cut into florets
¾ tsp Ras El Hanout* (spice mix from WILLIAM-SONOMA or make your own (recipe below)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
pinch of chili pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut 1 head cauliflower into florets and place in a medium bowl
- Add Ras El Hanout, chili peper flakes and olive oil and toss to coat.
- Spread onto a foil lined jelly roll pan or baking sheet and sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Roast, tossing occasionally 20-30 minutes (cook 5 minutes longer if you like it more tender).
- Place in a serving dish and enjoy with your favorite chicken or fish dish.
Home-made Ras El Hanout*
You can make your own Ras El Hanout if you make Moroccan food often. If not, simply buy pre-mixed spices. I like the one from William–Sonoma.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Herb Roasted Tilapia
Yield: 2 Servings
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 boneless tilapia fish fillets
1/2- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons EVOO
3-4 large sprigs fresh thyme
4-6 large green olives with pits
1 large egg
1 lb. thin-sliced boneless chicken breast (or chicken tenders)
1 egg, beaten
shredded parmesan cheese (enough to coat the chicken)
1-2 tomatoes, medium diced
½ brown onion, sliced
Italian seasoning (2-3 shakes)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
fresh basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons olive oil
Instructions Continue reading