My sister Tomi is a great cook and has the gift of hospitality. One Christmas she and her family were visiting us from the east coast and we decided to throw a cocktail party to introduce them to several of our neighbors and friends. At about 8pm the cocktail party turned into a dinner party and we looked at each other saying “What can we make for a party of 12?” Tomi quickly offered to whip up a hearty pasta dish sure to satisfy the hungry bunch. Sure enough, the super easy and delicious pasta was a hit.
I now make it for Sunday night dinner and always think of my sister when I make it. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! The recipe below is modified for 6-8 people.
¾ lb. bacon
1 sweet onion, medium dice
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 large cans of peeled San Marzano tomatoes (or one can of peeled and one can of crushed if you want it more saucy)
1/3 cup full bodied wine (like a Cabernet)
2 tablespoons of fresh Rosemary, chopped (1 tablespoon if using dry rosemary)
Shredded Parmesan cheese or cubed fresh mozzarella cheese (optional)
1 -1 ½ lb. of spaghetti pasta
- Wash and chop the fresh ingredients and set aside (onion, garlic and rosemary).
- Chop bacon into 1inch squares and place in a large frying pan on medium heat. Cook about 5 minutes until soft but not fully cooked.
- Drain part of the fat if you like but you want the bacon to infuse the dish with flavor)
- In a second large frying pan, sauté the sweet onion about 5 minutes.
- Add partially cooked bacon and minced garlic and continue to sauté for about 1-2 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes and red wine and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the rosemary and then let the sauce simmer on low-medium heat for 15-30 minutes. Cover up the sauce after about 20 minutes so the sauce doesn’t dry out.
- While sauce simmers, boil a large pot of water and about 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp oil. When pot starts to boil, add the pasta and cook as per package directions.
- Serve sauce over pasta with Parmesan sprinkled on top. As an option, to the Parmesan, you can place a small bowl of cubed mozzarella at the table so guests can garnish as they wish.
- All you need is a salad and garlic bread and you have a hearty meal!