spicy southwestern salad with avocado dressing
- prep time: 15 mins
- cook time: 20 mins
- total time: 35 minutes
- yield: 4 large salads
This easy to prepare Spicy Southwestern Salad recipe has roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, lettuce, and creamy avocado dressing!
FOR THE SALAD
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon each cumin and chili powder (plus a sprinkle of cayenne if you like it hot)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-ounce can sweet corn, rinsed and drained (or use shredded carrots if you prefer)
- a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado (optional)
- 1/2 a head of romaine lettuce, chopped
FOR THE CILANTRO DRESSING:
- half an avocado
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- a squeeze of lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into bite-sized pieces. Mix the olive oil, cumin, and chili powder together in a small bowl. Brush mixture on sweet potatoes. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir or shake the pan. Turn heat up to 425, and roast for another 10-15 minutes. The sweet potatoes should be just barely roasty-brown on the outside. cook another minute or two if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, pulse all the dressing ingredients in a food processor until mostly smooth.
- Toss the beans, corn, lettuce, and sweet potatoes with the dressing. Serve with the other half of the avocado!