Want to create a sweet treat for your Valentine? Try these. You can make them two different ways. I prefer the Ice Cream sandwich version but if you don’t have space in your freezer, the frosted kind are great too.
Homemade Oreos for your Valentine
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the cookies:
Celebrate Fall and the Holidays by serving these adorable gingerbread muffins. These molasses and ginger treats are easy to make and add a festive look to any table. Serve them alone or with lemon curd. Trader Joe’s offers a great gingerbread mix that makes serving these cuties a snap.
Autumn Gingerbread Cakelets
Yield: 16 Cakelets (144 calories each)
1 box Trader Joe’s Gingerbread Baking Mix
1 large egg
1/3 cup canola oil
¾ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray cakelet pan with Trader Joe’s Canola Oil spray and sprinkle lightly with a few pinches of flour.
- Combine egg, oil and water in a bowl and then add mix. Fold together gently until ingredients are moistened. (don’t over-stir as the cakelets will become more dense).
- Fill the molds of the cakelet pan no more than ¾ full to avoid overflow. I use a tablespoon and then spread mixture to level tops and fill corners of each shape. Tap the pan firmly a few times on countertop to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of a cakelet comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes then invert onto a cooling rack.
- Serve with lemon curd if you wish. Yummy!
Note: My cakelet pan is made by Nordic Ware. Any muffin or cakelet pan works well too.