Thin sliced zucchini instead of lasagna noodles turns this into a delicious yet hearty low carb meal. You won’t even miss the pasta!
Cook Time: under 60 minutes
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 – 24 oz jar tomato basil pasta sauce ( I like Bertolli)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (plus a few leaves for garnish (optional)
- 5 shakes of italien herbs (about 1/2 tsp.)
- 1 large or two medium zucchini (sliced 1/8″ thick using a mandolin)
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1-2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Slice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices, lightly salt and set aside or 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture with a paper towel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt and pepper. When cooked drain in colander to remove as much fat as you can.
- Return the meat to the pan, add pasta sauce, italien herbs, and fresh basil. Simmer until just bubbly. Do not add extra water, the sauce should be thick.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a 8 X 8 or 9 X 9 baking dish, form a layer of zucchini on the bottom.
- Spread 1/4 of the meat and sauce mixture over the zucchini layer. Add four or five thin slices of ricotta to form another layer. Sprinkle 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese next. Repeat the process with a second layer of zucchini slices, meat sauce, ricotta and mozzarella, and then repeat again making a third layer. For the last layer, top with remaining zucchini slices and sauce, cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake 10 more minutes and then place the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano and bake until melted, 10 minutes.
- Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before slicing and serving.