My sister, Tomi turned me on to this yummy goodness from chef, Erica De Mane, who specializes in southern Italian cooking. Serve with a simple salad.
Baked Penne with Tomato, Mozzarella & Sausage
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 lb. sweet Italian pork sausage, removed from its casing and crumbled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 35-oz. can whole plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh marjoram or oregano (from about 6 large sprigs)
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated mild pecorino cheese
- Pinch nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lb. dried penne (or ziti if you prefer)
- 1/2 lb. mozzarella, preferably fresh, cut in small cubes
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a large, shallow baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In a large skillet or stock pot, heat about 2 Tbs. olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and crumbled sausage and sauté until the sausage starts to brown. Season with salt and pepper. If the sausage gives off a lot of fat, pour off most of it, but leave a little to add flavor to the sauce. Add the red wine and let it boil until it’s almost gone. Add the tomatoes with all of their juices and cook, uncovered, at a lively simmer for about 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken slightly. Add the marjoram or oregano and taste for seasoning.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, about half of the grated pecorino, the nutmeg, and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the ziti until al dente (7-8 minutes max). Drain well and toss it with the ricotta mixture until well coated. Add the sausage and sauce and mix again. Add the mozzarella and toss gently. Pour everything into the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining pecorino on top. Bake uncovered until lightly browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve right away.
- Nutritional Info (based on four servings)
- Calories (kcal) : 1070
- Fat Calories (kcal): 390
- Fat (g): 44
- Saturated Fat (g): 20
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 5
- Monounsaturated Fat (g): 17
- Cholesterol (mg): 110
- Sodium (mg): 114
- Carbohydrates (g): 113
- Fiber (g): 8
- Protein (g): 54